the misadventures of a Northwesterner afloat in the windy city

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Pre-Thanksgiving Peril!

When we last left our humble hero, he was facing his worst fear and greatest foe... Middle Schoolers! Let's join him again as he approaches either destruction or redemption in Adventure Awaits!

"If you are ready, I'll bring your class in."
What choice do I have? Make it quick.
Twenty-Nine preadolescents stroll into the second story classroom where I quietly plot my fate.
“Good morning!” one student says brightly as she walks in.
Another introduces himself, “I’m Eric. What’s your name?”
Luckily, I came prepared for their mind games and don’t bat an eye as I bid them, “enter” and, “sit down.”
As the class settles (surprisingly quickly, but I’m not fooled) I introduce myself and explain my expectations of the day.
We settle quickly into a productive groove and coast through the lessons of the day without much trouble.
What gives? This reminds me of the time I caught Mono and only felt sick for half a day. Where are the paper airplanes and switchblades? The sarcasm? The disestablishmentarianism?
Frankly, I am not just confused, but a little disappointed too.
Nevertheless, I know that it’s only a matter of time before these fiends show their true colors and give me a good run for my money.

I’ll be waiting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home