the misadventures of a Northwesterner afloat in the windy city

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Bienvenue

I am getting sick again. Can't believe it.
I have been covering a French class for grades 1-5 for the last week and my last time is tomorrow. I had forgotten how wonderful it is to be in the same place and do the same routine for an extended period. As an advocate for myself I have made sure to corner some of the important folks at Lincoln where I do most of my subbing and speculating about what circumstances would have to arise for me to get hired on as a permanent sub or even as a staff member for next year. We'll see.
I showed an amazing little animated film called Kirikou et la sorcière that takes place in an an African village and follows the adventures of newborn wunderkind Kirikou and his battle against a wicked sorceress. It is fun and funny with a great soundtrack and some neat images. The teacher who gave it to me warned me that I would need to scold the audience (3rd graders) into not laughing of getting too excited by the "cartoon boobies" that the topless women in the village exhibit during the film. I took it as a challenge to come up with a way to let present this information in a productive way that would draw attention away from the tittilation (ouch!) of the experience but also wouldn't shame the students into silence, but let them think about culture and human experience in a sensitive way. I wouldn't be telling the story if I hadn't come up with an awesome way, but I'll spare you the details for the moment.
A bientot

1 Comments:

Blogger Bright Ring, art book author MaryAnn Kohl said...

Don't spare us the details. What did you do?

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 11:29:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home