the misadventures of a Northwesterner afloat in the windy city

Friday, March 23, 2007

Comedy Journal

On lunchroom duty I noticed a lonely, purple, spiral-bound notebook laying on the side counter. The cover said "Comedy Journal." Naturally, I opened it up. There was only one entry and I include it here, verbatim:

Once there was this girl who said she couldn't watch SpongeBob. I said why. She said because its the house rule. Well its just a sponge, that's why they call him SpongeBob. Plus it's not like sponge could comit a crime. "OH" SpongeBob just killed a guy.

From the moment I saw the cover of this "comedy journal" I knew there would be gold inside. In fact, I started thinking about coercing my students into writing material and then performing it for an audience. Just like the time I asked my 2nd/3rd graders to make the bass drum cover for a Sensory Overlord concert. That was the origin of the "be a robot" slogan that garnered such acclaim from our fans. I would never have thought of such a genius sound byte, but give some 9 year olds a few minutes on the job and voila!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home